Simon Bailly Art Analysis

 Simon Bailly

Simon Bailly is the artist who's art I chose to do an analysis on. He is a French artist who makes cartoon style illustrations. He states in the about section of his website that he "started to work as a professional illustrator for the French newspapers Liberation and LE 1. I now work for several newspapers, events, children's books, shop advertisement, and I was lucky enough to do some exhibitions in different galleries." (Bailly). His website showcases a full page of some of his works. Below I have attached two different works he has up on the website currently featured in the LA Times and the New Yorker respectively.


Analysis

As I mentioned in my introduction blog I am a huge fan of his work. I love the way he uses a wide variety of colors that set the scene of whatever the illustration is. You can see in the one on the left that was featured in the LA Times how he used many different bright colors that set an upbeat chaotic day time feel while on the other hand in the illustration on the right he used darker colors to create a more dark somber setting. He makes a great point of using a variety of colors and less black and white in his works which is something I really like about his works. He also made great use of lines in both works to portray the movement of objects such as the peas bouncing around and the steam coming from the kettle. It made the works seem more alive. Many of his works are open to interpretation. In the illustration filled with food I think he's trying to portray a message that shows how much American culture revolves around food and eating. In the other work it is hard to say what he is trying to depict as the message. I like to think it's someone looking into the window of a more quiet life as the colors through the window are much brighter and lively than in the room. His works truly bring me a great feeling of nostalgia as I really enjoyed cartoons growing up, especially those that were made before I was born. His cartoon style is vintage in a way or at least that is what I get from it. I hope you all check out and enjoy his work as much as myself. 


Bibliography

“Illustrations.” Simon-Bailly, www.simon-bailly.com/. Accessed 9 Feb. 2023.


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing such a cool artist! I have not hear about him but I will definetly check it out!
    I am a big fan of flat ilustrations and this comic like style is just so nice, It talks about the current reallity but with a retro look, so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Blog

Post Modern Blog

Classical art exhibit blog